Gibbons, co-owner and chef of the popular Irish Hotel Barge Shannon
Princess, shares a delectable mince pie recipe for the holiday season.
- 225g/ 8oz Plain Flour
- 125g/ 4oz Golden Caster Sugar
- 100g Ground Almonds
- 125g/ 4oz Butter or Margarine (room temperature)
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- A little water, if necessary
- 450g/ 1lb Jar Mincemeat
- Icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly grease patty/bun tins.
- Put flour, sugar and ground almonds into a mixing bowl and mix well together.
- Rub butter/margarine through the dry ingredients. Add the beaten egg (and water if required) and mix to a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and gently knead.
- Cover with cling film and keep in fridge until ready to use. The pastry will keep for about three days.
- Roll pastry on a floured board and cut rounds or stars with a cutter to fit greased bun/patty tins. Put a teaspoon of mincemeat in each and cut a lid from remaining pastry to put on top. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Dust with icing sugar.
- Route: The Lower Shannon River, Ireland – Between Glasson and Killaloe
- Up to 10 guests in 5 cabins. All on the main level.
- Charters and Cabin cruises
- Itineraries: Standard classic, Artisan Food Trail, Family, Golf, Walking
- Learn More: Online Brochure
Shannon Princess has been thoughtfully designed throughout. The barge’s
inviting interior makes a charming floating living space – a perfect
“Home away from home” for guests to enjoy. The welcoming atmosphere is
enhanced by Ruairi and Olivia’s love of antiquities, crafts, pottery and
art with many works by established and local Irish artists. Onboard
the barge a friendly & relaxed mood has been created by carefully
mixing casual informality with quality service.
Shannon Princess provides accommodation for up to 10 guests in 5 cabins
which can be configured as double or twins, each with ensuite
facilities. This barge is owner-operated with a total of five
professional crew in attendance.You will be charmed with excellent but
friendly service, gorgeous food & wines, and share in a slice of
local life and knowledge.
View Shannon Princess’ online brochure
Visit our website for more info on our barges and barging: www.BargeCharters.com