- 1 kg elderberries (remove from the stalks with a fork)
- 1 kg jam sugar (or 1 kg sugar with the juice of 1 lemon)
- As elderberries have no pectin, is it best to use jam sugar or else use regular sugar and the juice of one lemon.
- For the jars, make sure that they are washed in warm, soapy water, rinsed and then put into a moderate oven or microwave to sterilise.
- Put the elderberries into a heavy based or stainless steel saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 15 minutes – until the berries have softened.
- To strain the berry juice you can use a jelly bag or a fine sieve.
- Measure the strained juice and for every 1 litre use 1kg of your preferred sugar.
- Pour this elderberries juice back into the pot and bring to the boil. When it has come nearly to the boil add the sugar and stir until the sugar has melted. Again bring it back up to a rolling boil and when it has reached boiling point, use a jam thermometer or time it for 4 minutes.
- When setting point is reached turn off the heat & pour the juice into a measuring jug and carefully fill the jars. Cover with wax disc and jam pot cover and lids.
- Route: The Lower Shannon River, Ireland – Between Glasson and Killaloe
- Up to 10 guests in 5 cabins. All on the main level.
- Charters and Cabin cruises
- Itineraries: Standard classic, Artisan Food Trail, Biking/Cycling, Family, Golf, Walking
- Learn More: Online Brochure
Shannon Princess has been thoughtfully designed throughout. The barge’s
inviting interior makes a charming floating living space – a perfect
“Home away from home” for guests to enjoy. The welcoming atmosphere is
enhanced by Ruairi and Olivia’s love of antiquities, crafts, pottery and
art with many works by established and local Irish artists. Onboard
the barge a friendly & relaxed mood has been created by carefully
mixing casual informality with quality service.
Shannon Princess provides accommodation for up to 10 guests in 5 cabins
which can be configured as double or twins, each with ensuite
facilities. This barge is owner-operated with a total of five
professional crew in attendance.You will be charmed with excellent but
friendly service, gorgeous food & wines, and share in a slice of
local life and knowledge.
View Shannon Princess’ online brochure
Visit our website for more info on our barges and barging: www.BargeCharters.com