Here’s a recipe for a delicious dessert — a Scottish version of the classic sherry trifle which is often served on special occasions like Christmas or New Year’s Eve.
- 8 sponge fingers
- 3 tbs of raspberry jam
- 6 digestive or ratafia biscuits
- 1 dram of sweet sherry
- 1 dram of whisky or Drambuie
- A handful of fresh raspberries
- 1 cup of double cream
- 1 tbs of caster (powdered) sugar
- Flaked almonds toasted to decorate
For the custard
- 2 egg yolks
- 1.5 ounces of caster sugar
- 4 drops of vanilla essence
- 1 cup of milk
- 2/3 cup of double cream
- Start by making the custard. Beat together the egg yolks and sugar until pale. Mix the cream, milk and vanilla in a pan and warm to just below boiling point. Pour into the beaten egg mixture, blending well. Return to the pan over a low heat and stir continuously until thickened. Transfer to a bowl and cool.
- Spread the sponge fingers with the raspberry jam and place in the bottom of a large glass bowl or small trifle dishes. Roughly crush the biscuits and scatter over the jammed sponge. Mix the sherry and whisky (or Drambuie) and pour over the biscuit and sponge. Leave it to soak in.
- Whisk the double cream and caster sugar to thick peaks and fold in more whisky if preferred. Pour the cooled custard over the sponge and top with a layer of raspberries. Spoon over the thickened cream and decorate with a scattering of toasted flaked almonds. Tipsy Laird Complete!
Planning on taking a barging cruise this season? Looking at our master calendar, we noticed that the season is quickly booking up. Don’t wait too long. We even have bookings for 2021 🙂
Visit our website for more info on our barges and barging: www.BargeCharters.com